14th Lowestoft Scouts share memories at 80th anniversary celebration

Memories were rekindled as a Lowestoft scout group celebrated its 80th anniversary with a church service followed by an open house at their headquarters.

Past and present Cubs, Scouts and leaders first gathered for a thanksgiving service for the 14th Lowestoft Scout Group at St Bartholomew’s Church, Corton. Led by Rev Roger Key, and with former rector Canon Christopher Chapman present, the service included a flag ceremony and then a member from each section addressed the congregation speaking about what scouting meant to them. An excerpt from the Cubs 100th Gang Show brought a lighter moment to the formal occasion.

Phillip Cocks started the group with just eight boys on April 7 1937 and the only surviving member; Ken Strong, was present as guest of honour at the event. Ken is now the group’s President and at the open house, held at The Den headquarters in the High Street, he was invited, together with the youngest members of the unit, to cut a special cake to mark the anniversary.

Scout Leader Richard Brabben said, “We have had a excellent turnout and there was a lot of interest in the 1937 camp that was set out with old tilly lamps, old tents, old uniforms and with Scouts cooking 1937 style food on wood fires. In comparison there was also a 2017 campsite to show how things have come up to date.

The group’s museum was open and attracted a steady stream of visitors to view the logbooks, photographs and cuttings on show.

It has been absolutely brilliant to see the smiles on the faces as people met up with others that they had not seen for years to reminisce and to share their memories of their time in scouting.”